British Discipline Forum Index British Discipline
M/M corporal punishment Discussion Board of www.british-discipline.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Send me to Borstal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_of_k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The power of the birch Reply with quote

BONNY wrote:
I have often wondered why the judicial CP for youths was the birch while the official instrument for schools was the cane. I have always assumed that the birch must be the ultimate as a pain delivering instrument!

The birch ruled in schools until early or mid C19th when the cane became more favoured. The cane was favoured because it could be effective over clothes which suited Victorian modesty whereas the birch is only effective on the bare. Perhaps this was not such a problem when it came to judical corporal punishment as it was for educational cp.
reporter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Birching could still be done in Jersey as it is not part of the EEC, and has its own government.

Jersey's last birching was in 1966. Three years later the island's Attorney General stated that no more birchings would be carried out as the new rule was that they could not be given straight away as lads now had 8 days in which to appeal. The deterrent of immediate birching was seen to be gone, although I would have thought the prospect of the birch hanging over your head (or another part of your anatomy) for 8 days would deter most people.

Banning birching was to wait until the law was tidied up, and last year a report said this was about to happen (after 36 years), so if birching could still be done legally it won't be for much longer.

Guersey was still birching in 1973, and the Isle of Man gave its last one in January, 1976 and abolished the birch finally in 1993.

Quote:
Birching in Jersey was done with the old bushy birch, and they usually gave at least 12 sometimes 18 or 24 or more.

One lad was actually awarded 30 strokes, but if the order was for more than 12 they seem to have only given half, and kept the rest to be given if the lad came before the court again within a year or so. This seemed to be highly effective!

Quote:
I have often wondered why the judicial CP for youths was the birch while the official instrument for schools was the cane. I have always assumed that the birch must be the ultimate as a pain delivering instrument!

A 16 year old, birched in Guernsey in 1966, said "It wasn't so much the pain, because I've had worse from a school caning, but the fact I was terrified". This has puzzled me. Perhaps his school should have been investigated!
uniformguy-2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any one eles in to cp in real prison / borstal uniforms? Dose any one have any , or know what the borstal ones were like in the 6os/ 70s?
Tug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a borstal site: The early Borstal Uniform was like the Court Lees uniform in the 1960s.

http://www.borstal.skinheads.co.uk/

andy88628862

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Jersey Beating Reply with quote

Lived in Jersey 3 years now and can qualify that it don't happen! Wishes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: