British Discipline Forum Index British Discipline
M/M corporal punishment Discussion Board of www.british-discipline.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lochgelly Tawse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
striped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Lochgelly Tawse Reply with quote

For those Members interested, there is an Article on Page 12 of today's Scottish Daily Mail by John MacLeod regarding the abolition of the Lochgelly Tawse 25 years ago in Scottish schools.

Only quickly glanced at it myself but it appears to be in favour of its abolition.

Not sure if this will be published in the English editions.
BONNY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the One Show at 7pm on BBC1 tonight (15/08/11)? the first five or six minutes was about the use of the tawse in Scottish schools. They showed briefly where the straps came from they then took us into an (empty) Scottish school and interviewed an ex-teacher who had used the tawse and an ex-pupil who had tasted it. He said it only needed one boy to get the tawse for talking in class and the rest of the class kept dead quiet. I can remember the cane having the same effect at my junior school!
steveman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BONNY wrote:
Did anyone see the One Show at 7pm on BBC1 tonight (15/08/11)? the first five or six minutes was about the use of the tawse in Scottish schools. They showed briefly where the straps came from they then took us into an (empty) Scottish school and interviewed an ex-teacher who had used the tawse and an ex-pupil who had tasted it. He said it only needed one boy to get the tawse for talking in class and the rest of the class kept dead quiet. I can remember the cane having the same effect at my junior school!

For members in the UK, the programme is available to view on BBC iPlayer
steveman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now also on youtube at....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-GPML9Ky4
BONNY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lochgelly Tawse in action. (on the hand.)

http://www.s1lochgelly.com/media/the-lochgelly-tawse-in-action.html
Hall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the One Show report I'd liked to have seen the reporter get it a bit harder! He looks a perfect candidate for it - as does the presenter Matt Baker.
Peterley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: lochgelly tawse Reply with quote

Yes I agree far too light, he also moved his hand help to take sting away.

Give him VERY HARD. I never had the tawse only in play.
Hardbelt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching the One Show and my jaw dropped when the item came on. Very unusual in this day and age for cp to get such an airing.

The program was partly filmed in The Abbot's House Museum in Dunfermline in Fife. Not too far from Lochgelly, where the really severe school tawses were made. It houses a few real tawses but also a enormous "sculpture" of a 3 tail lochgelly tawse made by a local artisan which can be seen hanging down in the background during the interview with Margaret Dick. It was her father and grandfather who made the famous tawses. She has started to make replicas of them, but they are very pricey.

The teacher who was interviewed downgraded it somewhat. It was never given as a half held flick! Always standing with hands doubled and the teacher hitting full on. For extra measure he might wind up and put his full back into it!

The presenter was quite boyish and could have at least stood up in the correct position and taken it a little harder. I noticed he feined to pull his hands away. Then the camera position was changed so a few takes of this were necessary. The stroke shown was very weak so goodness knows what the out takes were like! I thought a gentle slippering would have been his style. Bare arsed of course,! It might have been a little dangerous in those tight jeans he had on!

Hardbelt
Hall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other clip of the re-enactment - guy in shorts getting the tawse - is more like it. This guy did have a website about tawsing but it seems to have been closed now.

Also found this vid on YouTube which is worth a look. the first whack is a bit weak though it looks like the sixth one stings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eFfMLWoCE
victoriancarl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having watched the clip on Youtube, I totally agree that the young reporter should have felt that stroke a lot harder. No self-respecting teacher would ever give a tap like that and surely a 5 year old could have expected worse for talking in class! However, I feel the main aspect of the programme was how fair it was, considering how anti-CP the conventional wisdom has been in the UK for so long. Normally, from my experience of the UK, one could expect a diatribe about how "barbaric" it had all been. But no, it actually posited the return of CP as a reasonable option. Joe Crowley, despite only taking the softest of taps for the camera, seemed genuinely interested in his subject and to be enjoying his assignment, used interesting phrases such as "tickle of the tawse" (well, that's all he got!), kept grinning (instead of expressing sanctimonious outrage) and saying "wow" (with I thought ill-disguised approval) at various key moments, asked one interviewee (hopefully i thought) if six was the norm, and so on. I understand that he even sent out a twitter message that his programme on the "strap" had been broadcast. I say well done to Joe for producing about the best on the subject that the UK broadcast authorities would presently allow. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he were a convert to the cause!

Carl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: