British Discipline Forum Index British Discipline
M/M corporal punishment Discussion Board of www.british-discipline.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strokes of tawse on hands in grandfathers' times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Houseboy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Strokes of tawse on hands in grandfathers' times Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some idea of the maximum (or thereabouts) number of strokes of the tawse that might have been given on the hands in, say, our grandfathers' time. I bet it was more than three per hand then; a slightly older Irish friend tells me that when he was at school, the (rare) maximum on the hands, although with a strap not a tawse, was twelve per hand; and when I was at school in the 70s it was four on one + five on the other (this had dropped from nine on each in the 60s - that was official, from the teaching staff). All this was with a strap not a tawse, but it makes a maximum of three per hand seem out of line. Any clues? I understand tawse weights were regulated from the 1930s and I wonder whether higher numbers might have been given before that.
striped

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Tawse on the Hands in Grandfather's time Reply with quote

I suppose things varied from school to school and region to region, but the most strokes on the hands I ever heard of someone getting at my School in Central Scotland in the 60s was 6. This was for bringing alcohol onto School premises.

If I remember correctly the worst I ever got was 4 on each hand, cannot recall exactly what for, something to do with undone homework I think.
Houseboy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Striped - and was the six you heard about on each hand, ie twelve in all, or three on each hand?
Strictglasgow

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree.... in Central Scotland 6 was considered the maximum punishment and it was severe as senior school tawses bruised the hands when used full force, and that was the norm usually.

Only reason i can think why more would have been given would be if a lad drew away his hands during the belting which would mean that the stroke had to be repeated.

Most I ever saw or heard of was 6 (3 on each hand) and from experience this was reserved for serious discipline issues or was given to 5th and very rarely to 6th year pupils as it was considered they were old enough to know how to behave and deserved the full measure of discipline if and when their behaviour merited it. 5th and 6th years were rarely belted for anything other than the most serious issues, smoking, playing truant, fighting, bullying, being cheeky to staff, alcohol etc.
striped

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: tawse strokes on hands in Grandfather's time Reply with quote

You ask if the strokes in my previous entry were 6 on each hand. I must admit I cannot remember for sure but it was the talk of the school for days so I would think it was 6 on each hand.
quietboy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memories (from the north of Scotland) are similar to Strictglasgow's. In primary school (1960s) it was almost always two, usually one on each hand, though some teachers gave them both on the same hand. In secondary (early 70s) more than 2 strokes became more common, but 6 (total) was the absolute maximum, and it was only handed out very rarely, though it did occur.

For earlier decades, which I got the feeling the original poster was actually meaning, we can only look to the written word. For example, in Neil Gunn's novel Highland River, published in 1937 but telling of an earlier time, Kenn is in a village primary school and he is about to get the belt.

"Come out here." Kenn went out. Swiftly, with thunderous steps, the master had plunged to his desk and returned with the three-fingered leather strap. "Hold it out."

Kenn held out his arm at the full length and took the regulation three on his palm.

"The regulation three" is an ambiguous phrase. It could mean that there were laid-down rules about the permitted number of strokes, or it may (more likely?) simply mean that that was the master's customary habit. The book is, of course, a work of fiction, so it cannot be taken as a reliable record of real life, but it does draw on the writer's early experience, so it may well reflect his memories on this point. If so, it would suggest that in Neil Gunn's Caithness, at any rate, the customary number of strokes in primary school around the turn of the 20th century, compared to the 2 that we were used to, was only slightly more, not much.

But the other part of this is that Kenn gets it from the master again later the same morning. A boy getting two beltings in one day was not unheard of, even in my time, in secondary school, where you saw several different teachers in a day, but I can't recall a case of it in primary school; but it does appear, from what one hears, that beltings a hudred years ago, if they weren't much more severe, were certainly frequent.

What evidence, either corroborative or contradictory, is there from other Scottish books of that period?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Discipline Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: